6/14/19

My dog is not your toy. Ask before you pet.


Mora has not been in our house for two weeks yet and I already had an uncomfortable encounter with the public that prompted me to make this art print and go on several ranting tirades. Basically, Mora is injured from her stay at the pound because she is underweight and had severe hot spots all over her face. According to the vet I needed to keep her dry and indoors with some exercise occasionally. So, we went out for a job at the lake on a cooler day.

Everything was going really well! Mora had a big smile on her face and she was racing off down the path with me. In the distance, we saw a father and daughter playing with a boomerang. There were on the path but I didn't think anything of it. It seems that most people just move out of the way when a runner comes along and lets them pass without any issues.

As we approached, however, the little girl stood directly in the middle of the path. I think she was probably only 5 or 6 years old. Wild long blond curly hair and tanned skin with a giant smile she makes eye contact with Mora as we got closer. I got the vibe that she may have been autistic-like myself. I was a little worried about the encounter. I've not had Mora long and I didn't know how she'd react to a stranger and small child on the path.

So, I made to detour around the little without breaking stride or pace. Mora and I left the path and went to the right. I actually purposefully brought me and my dog closer to the girl's father who was standing off the path and to the right. Then the little girl darted after Mora! She chased her while screaming happily and attempted to grasp at her fur. I clicked and smiled and laughed and made Mora run a little faster and out maneuvered the girl. For the briefest moment I made eye contact with the girl's father and he gave me a look. His face scrunched up and his mouth was flat. I assume this was a disapproving or dirty look.

To make matters worse as soon as Mora and I were out of range the little girl burst into tears. I could hear her say. "EVERYONE HATES ME, THEY HATE ME EVEN THE DOG HATES ME". My heart broke. I could relate to the little one. I really considered turning around to try and explain to her that Mora was new and sick. It had nothing to do with her but then I thought. Why, did her father expect me and Mora to be his child's entertainment? Why, didn't he protect her from a really big dog? He didn't know us! What if Mora was aggressive? (She's not thankfully!) Why, did he think it was ok to give me a dirty look when all I wanted to do was keep his daughter and my dog safe? Assuming that Mora and I were expected to stop and allow a little girl to play with my dog is very entitled! Dogs are not toys for kids. Dog bites can be very serious business and from a dog perspective, a small tiny screaming blob chasing you could be a valid reason for self-defense.

Frustrated, I jokingly said I was going to make a t-shirt that said " my dog is not your kid's plaything ask before petting"

Basically, I just want to ask that people teach their children to ask before petting strange dogs. If a child asks me first even if the answer is no at least I can stop and explain to them why. That way they don't take the rejection personally and maybe the learn something fun or new. It keeps us all safer and it's so much more respectful!

So, I drew some art. The final t-shirt design is
pretty cool! Defiantly helped channel my angry energy about the whole situation. What do you think? I'll include some of the process photos as a link to the final design. All proceeds (I make about 5.00 a shirt sale) will go to Mora :)


Click here to purchase! Comes in many colors! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Whispers Of The Deep" Emma Hamm: Booktok Merman Romance Review

 ðŸŒŠ Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Monster Tropes:  Enemies to Lovers (Slow burn)  Fated Mates (Maybe)  Size Difference (He big monster, she smol ...