4/5/19

Organic Autism





I felt very inspired to make a new symbol for Autism based on the many conversations I had with my twitter friends the #actuallyautistisc. I learned unlike me the majority of Autistics don't like bright colors as its' a sensory overload. I think it deeply ironic then that many of the symbols used to describe us revolved around primary color rainbows. Then, of course, many of us do not like the use of the puzzle pieces as a popular symbol because of it's dark history. 'a puzzle to be solved' among many other segments that do not exactly apply to us anymore.

I do like our neurodiversity symbol. (one that I use often) as the rainbow infinity sign. However again I felt very inspired to make this sign with even deeper meaning and symbols.

Thus, the idea for a living plant as an infinity sign was born! I painted a simple watercolor version and here is my original piece!

Then I went to twitter and used the #askingautistics tag to see what my peers thought when they looked at it. I was met with many RT's and likes. Some people expressed positive views on the symbol. So, after being well received I uploaded my digital versions. (Which are free to use BTW! Credit is nice but not required) 

Now as I promised is my blog post explaining why I came up with this! First of all,  is the living plant. I found so far we are often portrayed as less than human. It's usually objects or just colors and because allistics already think we are non-emotional and 'another type' of human I thought it best we present ourselves as something alive. Something that does need the care to flourish so that needs are not diminished in our strengths. 

Secondly, I thought I wanted something that was normal but unique. Birch trees are striking and visually unique compared to other typical tree counterparts. It also had the added benefits of being not loud colors. Each tree is unique with similar qualities just like autistics. 

Birch trees often grow in unusual ways and if a strong wind is applied to them will bend but not break. So, the infinity birch tree symbol adds the layer of diversity and strength we need in representing autism.

Plants conjure up images of wisdom and the offshoots represent all sorts of things. Growth, learnings, moving forward, positivity!  

Can you think of more symbolism that could be applied to this idea? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Whispers Of The Deep" Emma Hamm: Booktok Merman Romance Review

 ðŸŒŠ Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Monster Tropes:  Enemies to Lovers (Slow burn)  Fated Mates (Maybe)  Size Difference (He big monster, she smol ...