5/15/19

Opening And Trying A Bottle Of Antique Vintage Funeral Smelling Salts!

@WeathersRabbits
So, if you follow me on Instagram you would have already seen that this item was in my possession. Did you have any inkling that from the moment I purchased this item I would want to open this and try it out?

In my opinion though who wouldn't be curious about what this might smell like today nearly 100 years later.

The bottle sat around on my desk taunting me from the day I purchased it.

I swear I had voices singing at me to open and smell it every time I even glanced in its direction.!!

However, for the sake of safety, I set aside my inclinations in lieu of doing some research to see if this idea was even safe enough to purse. A quick google search brought me nothing. I had to dig even deeper. So, I went to Reddit and then into the r/chemistry subreddit. Where I posted my question whilst I did my researching.

I learned that most smelling salts are made of ammonium carbonate (even vintage ones) but I couldn't figure how what happened to ammonium carbonate over time. Thankfully, a thoughtful chemist came through for me on Reddit. I asked if I could quote them and never received a go ahead. So, I won't bother them.

However, in a nutshell, they said that the smelling salt would decompose with time by absorbing water and natural gases becoming the liquid I found as well as creating small amounts of ammonia. I was advised to waft instead of directly sniff.

Once armed with that information I  was able to find other internet sources backing up this idea! I just needed the right info to know what to search for.

I was warned, however, that I shouldn't do a waft technique for just anything. It's usually safe but there are some deadly chemicals that could kill with just a sniff.

So, now I knew I probably wouldn't die or have some seriously adverse results from testing this product out I decided to research more about the item.

Turns out this product was probably made by a company called "Royal Bond" as I did find someone selling this bottle on worth point with a good amount of information on it. Which made me wonder if this product had anything to do with the spirit and liquor company "Crown Royal" When I saw the bottle I even remarked it looks like a "Crown Royal" miniature. When I kept researching however the full company name was found to be "Royal Bond" Embalming Chemical Co."  and seeing how that company made many embalming and mortuary supplies at the time I don't think it does have anything to do with spirt company.

Interestingly, though that same person provided a photo of the bottle they are selling and their bottle is still full of solid smelling salts! So, now that leads me to believe that my bottle was indeed opened and used at one point in time.

I also found out that this was a product they were making in hopes to sell to funeral homes. Who in turn would hand out these little courtesy bottles to people attending funerals? So, at first, I thought it was a mortuary supply but turns out it was for the living. A bit like handing someone a handkerchief.

These were being made on the tail end of the lavender smelling salts hay-day when having them was considered a luxurious necessity at the time. Smelling salts were commonplace but adding the lavender made sniffing the harsh product delightful.

Now as for how my test turns out... perhaps I could entice you to view my reaction on my youtube channel.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Whispers Of The Deep" Emma Hamm: Booktok Merman Romance Review

 ðŸŒŠ Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Monster Tropes:  Enemies to Lovers (Slow burn)  Fated Mates (Maybe)  Size Difference (He big monster, she smol ...